Wild Mustard garlic leaf and red dead nettle & wild onion dolmas. I'm still learning how to use the camera on my iPad, and I do talk back to my live viewers on Periscope, so sorry for the awkwardness of it all. Plants discussed in this video include chickweed (Stellaria media), garlic mustard (Alliaria. How to identify Garlic Mustard or Alliara petiolata.
The leaves of Garlic mustard are regularly used in salads, or as a flavouring for fish or meat. Young, fresh leaves can be picked in September when they first appear. Both Henbit and Purple Dead-Nettle are great edible plants. You can cook Wild Mustard garlic leaf and red dead nettle & wild onion dolmas using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Wild Mustard garlic leaf and red dead nettle & wild onion dolmas
- You need 2 lbs of garlic mustard leaves.
- You need 1 cup of chopped red dead nettle.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of minced wild garlic.
- You need 1/4 cup of pine nuts.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of seasame seed oil.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pumpkin seed.
- Prepare 1 cup of couscous uncooked.
- Prepare 1 cup of quinoa.
- Prepare 8 of pitted dates large.
- You need 1/4 of sliced almonds.
But have you ever had a problem telling them apart? Here's how to distinguish the two! Often referred to as stinging nettle, common nettle has a sturdiness and spicy flavor that make it suitable for many types of dishes. Common nettles can be replaced with white dead-nettles and red dead-nettles.
Wild Mustard garlic leaf and red dead nettle & wild onion dolmas instructions
- Blanch your garlic mustard leaves, I steam mine for about 2 minutes then air dry. The leaves will stick to each other. So I try to arrange them into my leaf wraps while they dry..
- Blanch for 1 minute your red nettle leaf and flower then chop. I like to use my ulu for this..
- Chop in your wild onion or garlic and break out the mortar and pestle. Combine your garlic, red dead nettle, pine nuts, sesame seed oil only add salt after you taste your pesto. Seriously! Salt is not important..
- Oil your pan and quick toast your quinoa, then add your couscous and water. Let it boil..
- Chop your dates and almonds..
- Add almonds and dates with 2-4 tbsp of your pesto. I like to cut the sweet with the pesto so I tend to have 4 tbsp of my pesto. Let it sit until it gets room temperature. Should be nice and thick..
- Build your dolmas!.
- Final stages. Brush your favorite oil and add some zest. I like lemon olive oil with some grapefruit zest. Enjoy!.
My wild garlic leaves tend to come from kind friends, but it is possible to find them in tied bunches at Spring garlic leaves and bulbs have a meekness in comparison to the chopped mature cloves I replace the missing sting with mustard. The leaves work in a tart, too, with a wibbly custard of egg. The leaves are somewhat 'soft' to the touch – with many hairs present (see photo at bottom of page). The dead nettles do not sting, both white dead nettles and red dead nettles are quite common flowers. White dead nettles (Lamium album) are somewhat larger, more. nettle leaves: a young fresh spring leaf on the left, on the right is tough, stingy leaf that can be found after flowering.