Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style. Intrigued, I googled "makhani," the Indian dish it's based upon, and recognized it as one of the many vegetarian options I've enjoyed at Indian buffets (I generally despise buffets but Indian buffets are a major exception). Combine in pan lentils, salt, curry powder, undrained chopped tomatoes, onion and water. This Indian Coconut Lentil Curry is full of flavor and can either be made in an Instant Pot or on the stove-top.
Then, add peas, vinegar and raisins. Combine lentils and water, bring to a boil. This basic Indian tomato curry can be served on its own or with any of your favorite vegetables or meat added to it. You can have Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style using 14 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style
- You need 1/2 can of lentils.
- You need 1/2 can of diced tomatoes.
- You need 1 of small onion, sliced.
- Prepare 1 tbs of finely minced ginger.
- You need 1 tbs of finely minced garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of coriander seeds.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of yellow mustard seeds.
- You need 1 of bay leaf (optional).
- It’s 2 tbs of garam masala powder.
- It’s 2 tbs of cooking cream.
- It’s 1 tsp of sugar (I used coconut sugar).
- You need 1 tbs of oil (I used coconut).
- Prepare to taste of Salt and pepper,.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, scraping the bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits. These Indian Lentils show just how delicious lentils can be. One taste of these Easy Indian Lentils and you'll be surprised at how satisfying and delicious lentils can be. This savory lentil dahl recipe is a vegan stew that is rich, hearty, and delicious, but also super simple and inexpensive to make.
Lentil and tomato curry, Indian style instructions
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the coriander, cumin, and mustard seeds. Fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds or so..
- Reduce heat to low-medium and add in the garlic, ginger, and onions, being careful not to burn the garlic and ginger..
- Cook onions until soft and translucent, stirring frequently to avoid burning the spices and aromatics..
- Add in lentils and tomatoes, stir everything together, then turn heat back to medium. Add in garam masala powder, bay leaf, sugar, and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Stirring occasionally, simmer until reduced to preferred consistency (I like it more like a stew and not so liquid)..
- Add in cream, then reduce once again to preferred consistency..
- Remove from heat and serve..
The Best Indian Carrot Curry Recipes on Yummly Quick Chicken Curry, Coconut Shrimp Curry, Tuna Curry. Red Lentil Dal is the perfect plant-based Indian meal! Rich, fragrant, and packed with protein for a meal you can feel good about. Dal (sometimes spelled 'dhal', 'dahl' or 'daal') is one of my very favorite Indian dishes because of how quickly it is made.