Shepherd's pie. Shepherd's Pie recipes are traditionally done with lamb, but are great with any ground meat–turkey and beef being the most popular modern versions. Give this great casserole a try, and watch everyone flock to the table. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water.
This is a recipe for Cottage Pie. Thank you, Dale Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. You can have Shepherd's pie using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's pie
- It’s of For Mashed Potatoes (Leftover mashed potatoes can be used too):.
- It’s 2 of large Potatoes.
- You need 10 g of Butter.
- You need 120 ml of Milk.
- It’s of LAMB FILLING.
- Prepare 300 g of Ground lamb/mutton.
- Prepare 1 of Onions.
- It’s 6 of Mushrooms.
- Prepare 1 of Carrots.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Flour.
- Prepare 240 ml of Broth.
- You need 1 Tablespoon of Thyme.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Parsley.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. So, this is how you spell it: Shepherd's Pie. But, from doing a quick google search, it came to my attention that TONS of people think it's Shepards Pie.
Shepherd's pie instructions
- Cook potatoes in their skins until soft. Peel and mash up with the butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside..
- Preheat ove to 200°C..
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan and saute onions until soft. Add in mushrooms and continue to cook until their juices start coming out (about 5-10 minutes)..
- Add carrots and meat. Cook until the meat is browned..
- Sprinkle in the flour. Mix until the sauce thickens a little..
- Add broth, thyme and parsley and bring to a boil..
- Turn to low, and cook until most liquid is gone and the mixture is thick..
- Put lamb and vegetable filling in an oven dish and spread with mash potatoes on top..
- Bake 20-30 minutes until the pie is bubbling and potatoes are a little browned..
- Dish out and enjoy!.
Traditional Irish Shepherd's Pie would actually call for ground lamb. The difference between Shepherd's Pie and Cottage Pie is the meat. This easy shepherd's pie is a layered casserole of ground beef and veggies in a homemade gravy. It's topped with Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name).