Classic Shepherd's Pie. Gordon's take on a real British classic. It's all in flavouring the mince. From Gordon Ramsay's The F Word Gordon Ramsay Ultimate.
American favorite shepherd's pie recipe, casserole with ground beef, vegetables such as carrots, corn, and peas, topped with mashed potatoes. A classic shepherd's pie that will bring back fond memories of comforting suppers. Shepherd's Pie is a traditional Irish dish made with ground lamb cooked with peas and carrots and topped with a mashed potato crust. You can cook Classic Shepherd's Pie using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Classic Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 400 grams of Ground Beef.
- Prepare 1 large of Onion, chopped up.
- It’s 5 large of Potatoes.
- It’s 1 medium of Carrot, diced.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Green Peas.
- You need 5 medium of Champignons, sliced.
- You need 1/4 cup of Milk.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Water.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of Butter.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Olive oil.
- Prepare 2 clove of Garlic.
- You need 1 tbsp of Dark Soy Sauce.
- Prepare 1 of Salt, Pepper, Thyme, Seasoning.
- It’s 1 of Cheddar Cheese.
- It’s 1/4 cup of Corn.
Easy and tasty, all year round! Classic shepherd's pie is hearty enough to serve alone, or with just a simple and inexpensive green vegetable. There's no need to add bread, salad, or other additional side items to make sure everyone. While Shepherd's Pie is traditionally made with lamb, beef is just as tasty in this recipe.
Classic Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Making the Mashed Potato: Peel and quarter the potatoes. Boil in water for about 20 – 25 minutes, until you are able to poke through the potato easily with a fork. Remove from water and allow potatoes to cool. Mash potatoes in a large bowl with a potato masher or a fork. Add the milk and butter in gradually. Blend in until the mash becomes a smooth consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste..
- Making the Meat Filling: Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. Saute the clove and onions for a few minutes. Next, add carrots and mushrooms. Saute till the carrots are soft. Add the ground beef. Stir fry till beef turns light brown. Add the dark soy sauce for color. Add the green peas and corn. Add salt, pepper and seasoning to taste. Add water and allow to simmer for about 10 mins. Add more water if needed so that there is some gravy and the beef does not dry out..
- Making the Pie: Transfer the meat filling to a baking dish and level it out so that the filling covers the entire base of the dish. Sprinkle some cheddar cheese over. Next, add the mash on top of the meat filling and spread it out with the back of a spoon (do not press the mash down into the filling otherwise too much gravy will seep into the mash). Use a fork to rough up the surface of the mash. Baste the mash with a little butter and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake in oven on max heat for about 15 mins or until the potato crust turns golden brown and slightly crispy..
This is a timeless classic – make this once and you'll make it over and over again! This potato-topped pie is a traditional way of using leftover meat. Shepherd's pie is a type of meat pie made with lamb and a crust or topping made from mashed potatoes. Ok, so what are the basic, must-have ingredients for this classic shepherd's pie? Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef.