Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie. This comfort dish takes advantage of a few shortcuts that don't lesson the flavor or quality of the meal, like refrigerated mashed potatoes and pico de gallo, so you can get dinner on the table fast. Make sure to brown your meat nicely, since it builds flavor. Substitute cheddar cheese for pepper jack, if you prefer it.
I wanted to play around with the recipe a little and make it freestyle friendly. This tex mex pie is so tasty and such a great twist on a classic. Spoon potatoes atop filling in pie dish, covering completely. You can cook Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie using 9 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie
- You need 3 of lbs. Lean ground beef.
- You need 3 of pkgs Taco seasoning.
- Prepare of Small amount of flour or cornstarch.
- You need 1 of sm. Bag potatoes; cooked & mashed (or can you use instant).
- You need 1 of Lrg. Can corn, drained.
- Prepare 1 of Lrg. Can green beans, drained.
- It’s 1 of med. Can diced tomatoes, drained.
- It’s 1/2 of med. Onion, chopped (optional).
- You need of Velveeta cheese slices (or block if you prefer cutting your own).
This version is a significant improvement over a traditional shepherd's pie (sorry mom), with a tex-mex flair from the chili powder, cumin, corn, black olives (leave the olives out if your kids won't touch them), cilantro, and cheddar, and a vitamin and flavour kick from the sweet potato topping. Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie is a stellar comfort dish, worthy as an addition to your weeknight rotation. Let's not quibble with the name. This comfort dish takes advantage of a few shortcuts that don't lesson the flavor or quality of the meal, like refrigerated mashed potatoes and pico de gallo, so.
Tex-Mex Shepherd's Pie step by step
- Peel, cook, and mash your potatoes as you normally would. Set aside..
- Brown your ground beef, drain, and add taco seasoning according to package instructions..
- Once your ground beef is done, add in just a little flour or cornstarch to slightly thicken the sauce, careful to avoid lumps..
- Add in your drained vegetables one can at a time, stirring to distribute them evenly..
- Pour into 13"x9" casserole dish plus an extra 9"x9" casserole dish, pressing it down and spreading evenly across the bottom..
- Layer your Velveeta slices across the top of the meat & veggie mixture. Go as cheesy as you want with it. I personally like mine really cheesy! .
- Get your oven preheating to 400°. Start layering on those mashed taters! Spread them evenly across the top of everything, layer them as thick as you want, so long as you have enough for both casserole dishes..
- Pop them in the oven for about 45 mins until bubbly and heated all the way through..
- Optional: broil the last few minutes to form a golden brown crusty layer to your mashed potatoes…we were starving so we didn't bother with this step this go around LOL!.
- Scoop it out into bowls and enjoy!!!.
This comfort dish takes advantage of a few shortcuts that don't lesson the flavor or quality of the meal, like refrigerated mashed potatoes and pico de gallo, so you can get dinner on the table fast. Spoon potatoes over corn in skillet; spread evenly. Boil potatoes until tender, drain and mash. Scrub and peel the potatoes, cut into quarters and place in a perforated steamer pan, large stockpot,tilt skillet or steam-jacketed kettle. If using a steamer, steam until the potatoes are tender.