Scottish Shortbread Cookies. Historically, Scottish shortbread only varied from traditional shortbread in that it was originally made with remnants of bread dough, oatmeal and yeast, resulting in a dry, biscuit-like cookie. Scottish Shortbread Cookies Recipe & Video. Scottish Shortbreads are made by hand using just one large bowl.
These simple classic shortbread cookies are made with butter, sugar, and flour. These tried-and-true Scottish cookies couldn't be easier! Maybe even more perfect with chocolate. You can have Scottish Shortbread Cookies using 4 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Scottish Shortbread Cookies
- Prepare 5 sticks of butter, unsalted at room temperature.
- It’s 1 1/4 cup of sugar.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 5 cups of flour.
Shortbreads are one of the easiest and delicious shortbread biscuits. We can make this beautiful shortbreads with only a few basic ingredients. Try making these easy, buttery shortbread biscuits for an afternoon activity with the kids. I'm a firm believer that shortbread cookies should be sinfully buttery and delectably tender.
Scottish Shortbread Cookies instructions
- Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in flour and salt. Dough will look crumbly..
- Pour entire bowl onto a cookie sheet. Spread out evenly over the entire sheet, pressing down, almost like making a crust. Should be about 1/2" high. Poke every 2 inches with a fork..
- Place in oven at 275 degrees F for an hour, until slightly golden brown..
- Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes. Cut into squares or diamonds. A pizza cutter works great..
These cookies are called Shortbread because the term "short" is used to describe cookies and pastries. This is a great recipe for light and flaky cookies! I like to have one with a cup of coffee. Scottish Shortbread Cookies Recipe traditional recipe. Scottish shortbread was ALWAYS on the list of "to bake cookies." Along with chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, spritzer cookies.